Before you start reading please REPLACE. THE. PERIODS. WITH. CLAPS.
TEST: You. (clap) Feel. (clap) Me. (clap)! I need you to feel me. LOL
Last month I had the pleasure of attending Myleik Teele’s (CEO/Mastermind behind CurlBOX & MTY Podcast) inaugural My Taught You Retreat at the Nizuc Resort & Spa in Cancun. I can not put into words how amazing it was. I’m not that great of a writer yet; to put words together in a way that makes you feel you were there. From roommate pairings, Master Classes, down to the “Limitless Living” socks we received at the Pajama party, and the BLACK GIRL MAGIC?! It was on point. No detail was too small and you could see all the hard work Myleik and her team put into it. You simply had to be there! So what I can do is give you my greatest takeaways from the trip. Oh, and to get it out of the way; YES, it was worth every penny and YES if you are presented with the opportunity to go you most definitely should.
When I found out I was 1of the 90 women selected to attend (out of 1500 applicants), I was jumping around in my living room on the phone with my husband yelling absolutely nothing. He was like, “Wait?! What’s going on? What happened? Tell me already!” I was that excited. Even though we were both hesitant about the price, we both agreed it was an opportunity I shouldn’t pass on. He said, “…every day when I come home from work you are listening to that lady. You’re going! She’s good for you to be around and being selected says a lot about you. She see’s something in you.” I couldn’t really argue with that.
The MTY Retreat was so epic and jam-packed that I’m not even gonna try to break down every moment. It’s too much and I really want you to apply to attend and experience it for yourself. What I can do is share the moments that sent me home with a new mindset and a new best friend!
1. I CAN afford to do nice things for myself & I CAN afford to SAVE $$$!
Over the course of the year, my friends would ask me “Are you still going on that “Myleik” trip?” People seemed to be concerned about me “giving this woman my money,” when many details about the trip had not been released. There are some people in the world that when you find out they’ll be in the room or involved with something, you have to be there. You just know it’s going to be dope. This was one of those things. Myleik has been gathering me for years via her podcast, plus I’ve never seen her half-ass anything. I knew I had to go and didn’t feel the need to justify it to anyone. Like, “Damn, why y’all up in my pockets!?” It wasn’t important to them, and they didn’t see value in it; I did. I wasn’t sure how I was going to pay for it even when I accepted the invitation, but I did. I’m a paranoid entrepreneur and mom of 2 (1 with special needs and his therapy ain’t cheap) and I have no room for error. I paid for the trip all by myself, no help from the hubs and that let alone let me know that I’m doing better than I thought. #bloop
Moving forward I decided that the payments I made to Myleik throughout the year for the trip, I’d now pay to myself. I realize that I too am worth investing in. Thank you Myliek for this unexpected takeaway!
2. Perception is Reality
Karleen Roy’s (CEO/Mastermind behind The Vanity Group and former “Senior Executive Assistant for the Executive Office at Bad Boy Entertainment”) segment resonated with me the most. Her confidence, her smile, and her wit are infectious. There’s something about her that makes me feel like I can do anything – be anything. She stands tall, smiles and you’re already sold before even tells you what she’s selling. What she taught me was that I can be the dopest Makeup Artist in the room, but if I continue to enter a space with my head down, fading into the walls no one will ever know it. If the disbelief I have in myself is visible, why would anyone else believe I’m capable? She challenged me to dig deep, push through my insecurities and become my own biggest fan. Now I walk a little taller when I enter a room. Thank you, Karleen.
3. It’s not about who has a better product, it’s about who tells a better story!
Zim Ugochuku (Creator/Mastermind behind Travel Noire) Masterclass had to be my favorite. SO. MANY. GEMS. She spoke to a number of my fears and burning questions. I took the most notes during her session, so I’m going to share a few and tell you what I got out it.
- Stop Glamorizing Overworking – There’s nothing cool about not taking care of yourself. In the long run, it will catch up with you and show your quality of work. It’s also a sign that you don’t know how to manage your day. If you’re productive during working hours, you won’t have to be up working am at 3 am.
- Protect What’s Important – Zim spoke on the importance of keeping up with and checking on loved ones. As entrepreneurs – girl bosses, we are typically glued to our phones/laptops connecting with the outside world. Sometimes forgetting/ or not saving enough energy for with the ones we love most. I’m so guilty of this. My friends matter to me and I can’t let my business or my kids get in the way of that.
- Feel the Fear and Fly! – The truth is we all feel fear. I’m sure Myleik feared to host this retreat and I’m sure she’s entering motherhood with a few as well. The difference between winners and quitters is perseverance. Both feel the fear, only one will leap.
- Think About the Destination & Not the Journey. – If you follow me on Instagram you know I’m in the gym trying to get this body together. Thinking about how long its going to take me can be discouraging. Also, comparing my journey to next person isn’t helpful. The person we choose to compare ourselves with is always further ahead (it seems). If I’m taking a step in the right direction every day, I know I’ll get there. That’s what I can control, that’s my responsibility. The rest I leave to God.
- It’s not about who has a better product, it’s about who tells a better story! – This one right here made me want to shout and inspired me to keep speaking my truth. Most of the people I follow and whose business I give my dollars to, I support because of they tell. Zim spoke on the importance of building a community first before selling an actual product. This made so much sense to me and I feel like I’m headed in the right direction. My community/my followers and I have an amazing connection and many have expressed that being the reason why they’ve booked me for their weddings, etc. I’m on the right track…
- Don’t Think Yourself into Inaction! – Lawdt, somebody pass me a church fan. I’m am queen mother of overthinking. To the point where I become overwhelmed and just say, “forget it!” Since I’ve returned I’ve gotten much better about breaking down my ideas and completing one step at a time. I’ll worry about what’s next after I finish the current task at hand!
Since returning from the retreat, applying these tools Zim shared with us I’ve nearly doubled my social media engagement and increased my following by 2,000!!! That’s something that would typically take me months! Thank you, Zim!
4. From now on, I’m gon’ Be My Own Bestfriend! – Yes, this is also a Beyoncé lyric, but Myliek gave it new meaning for me. If anyone has a recording of her speech let me know so I can link here. It needs to be heard. Thank you Myleik for introducing me to my new best friend. ME! I’m no longer looking for my husband, my friends, my job, etc to validate. I’m no longer allowing my past to define me, nor to my future to complete me. I have everything I need within myself to create the life I want to live and leave a legacy I can be proud of. No more asking for permission, no more waiting for other people to travel, etc. I have me. I am enough and I can do this. Thank you, Myleik!
You guys, I could break this weekend down into about 10 different posts. There’s just so much to share. Honestly, YOU. JUST. HAD. TO. BE. THERE. I didn’t even go over my notes from Kahlana Barfield’s (Editor over at InStyle Magazine) Master Class or Myleik’s interview with Luvvie! That woman literally wrote down the life she has now years ago. So I’ll leave you with that. Write it down, watch that shit happen!
5. Mini Master Classes – Not to take away from any of the master classes above, but for me, the REAL master class took place in my room chatting with my amazing roommate I was paired with, on the beach/ poolside…wherever we gathered in between festivities. Which is why Myleik having everyone apply and hand selecting who will attend was genius. It was important to her that everyone arrived not only to ready receive but capable of pouring into the woman sitting to the left and right. We cried, we affirmed one another, and we were able to share our stories with complete strangers and feel safe doing so. I’ve gained new friends, new sisters, and new mentors. I’ve never experienced this in my life and for me, it was the most beautiful thing about the Retreat. Oh, and the parties!? LOL Just know you’re going to have the time of your life!
The MTY Retreat is the greatest gift I’ve given to myself. I’m turning 30 in a few months and knowing this trip fell soon before I had to be there. I’ve spent my 20’s raising children, they are finally at an age where I can breath (a little). I’ve spent my 20’s married, trying to learn how to do life with a whole person when I didn’t know how to for myself. I’ve spent the past 10 years giving and I’m so excited about entering the next chapter with my value placed in my own hands, a pep in my step, and a better sense of direction.
Oh my Gawd, I didn’t talk about the parties!!? Ok, I can’t. It’s tew much! LOL Just know the margaritas were endless, the laughs were from my gut, and my thighs hurt from all the twerking. It was was a fantastic time, and what made it better was turning up in a room full of black girl magic. Learn, cry, play, twerk in that order every damn day.
To my knowledge registration will be opening up soon for The My Taught You Retreat 2019 and I hope to see you there. Make sure you’re following Myleik on Instagram or Twitter so you don’t miss the chance to attend. Thank you Myleik for an experience of a lifetime and for encouraging us to unlock the power within we always knew we possessed. Thank you a million times!